Sunday, March 11, 2012

My weight loss journey thus far

You might remember back on my new year resolutions post about me putting together the weight loss competition. My goal was to lose 15lbs on the competition but I really didn't think I would win. I love putting on these things because it really puts me into work mode. I love a little friendly competition. Well turns out I won, I won $300 to be exact. It didn't come easy, I worked my butt off! I'm so pleased with my results and I love the feeling I have lately. I wanted this for so many reasons. 1. This year I wanted the year to be about me regaining my self confidence. If you know me I have the worst self esteem ever! Well thankfully during these past 9 weeks I've started to find it again!
2. Our Cancun trip is coming up and I wanted to be confident on the beach. I still have some toning to do but I can say I'm pretty close to where I wanted to be!
3. This year I would like to get pregnant and before I gain another 40lbs ;) I wanted to at least start out at a healthy weight!
4. I'm such a happier person when I'm working out and eating right. I'm a better wife, mother, sister, daughter, person! I love the person I am when I'm doing what's right for me!
Another thing I noticed yesterday that has helped since I started this? Headaches! During the 9 weeks I had maybe 1-2 headaches. This is huge for me, before I would get 2-3 a week! Yesterday and the day before I noticed I didn't eat as well as I had been or drink as much water. What do you know huge headache yesterday! So now I know what's causing them, and how I need to fix it! Sweet!

It's crazy to think that 5 months ago during Halloween I couldn't even walk up the stairs. I couldn't walk while taking Gage trick or treating. I cried at the thought of working out. Now look at me, all symptoms gone and my legs muscles are back!! As you can tell I'm pretty dang proud of where I'm at, and have no intentions of going back!

So here is how I did it. Now take this how you want, I'm no fitness healthy guru. I love food, and since dieting is like 85% food that's where people fall short! What I had to keep telling myself was this will not happen fast! I can't give up, I can't expect results overnight!
Here are my stats from beginning to end, this is such a huge scary moment for me. Another sign that I'm growing so much. Before all this I would have never posted my weight online, well now I'm not ashamed!
Three_Rectangles
2012-01-02 14.24.17
030912071055
Lost 16.2lbs, 11.11% of my body weight.
Fitness
I don't mind working out, yes getting started was hard. I had days I didn't want to get off my butt. I had days I had to push through workouts and even days I quit early. I worked out everyday during the 9 weeks. Of course I didn't workout while in Disneyland but we walked a lot. I maybe missed 2-3 days during the 9 weeks and trust me I beat myself up about that. My workouts were different everyday. I didn't have the luxury of being able to go to the gym everyday, so working out at home was big. I did the 30 day shred level 2-3 once a week. I did Insanity 2-3 times a week. I did weight/ab workouts with Tyler 1-2 times a week. I started Zumba classes halfway through and fell in love with them. At the gym I would do the StairMaster, treadmill, bike, for 30+min then finish off with weights. I pushed myself harder each time. I love running, but I hate running on the treadmill. Now that the weather is starting to change I'm looking forward to starting that again. If I can find time to workout with 2 jobs, being a single mom for 3 days out of the week, you can too!

Food (the hard part)
Oh I love food, so changing my eating habits has been hard. I didn't eat out more then maybe 1-2 times during the 9 weeks. (yes Disneyland was different)
As long as my house was packed with healthy choices I did great. I made sure to grocery shop once a week. I made sure all the junk food was out of my sight. I made Tyler hide food and candy from me but he was a terrible hider. I want to get to the point where I can see junk food and leave it alone. I'm not there yet but I plan to be. I never ate after 6pm. I drank about 64oz of water a day! Half way through the competition I cut out carbs! Oh wow was this the hardest thing I've ever done. Tyler kept telling me, you need to cut out carbs, no carbs! I just didn't have the will power. When I finally did it the pounds started falling off. Carbs are in everything, so never eating them again is highly unlikely. I now watch them though and try to limit them as much as possible!
I signed up for weight watchers online at the beginning of this. I do like the program but I do believe it's more for a slow weight loss. Since I was in the competition I needed something faster, cutting out crabs did the trick. I cooked a lot during the 9 weeks, tried new things. I had a lot of smoothies, spinach, vegetables, chicken, egg whites, and I came to love a lot of them. The last week of the competition I decided to had to go into win mode. I started this cleanse/diet...
http://health-heaven.tumblr.com/post/17089615944/what-do-you-think-of-gms-diet

Oh boy did this make me appreciate normal food, I was craving egg whites like no other!
It was hard but I survived. I also worked out during it too, and lost 5.5lbs this week.
Whenever I would get hungry I would pop a piece of gum in my mouth, or chomp on ice chips.

I've learned that I rely to much on processed food. Before the 9 weeks I relied on lean Cuisines and packaged junk. I feel like I'm more knowledgeable on sodium, carbs, sugars than before.

Bottom line is losing weight is hard stuff! Everyday was a battle, Everyday I had to push harder. You really have to have motivation and can't give up. I know I did so well because I wanted it more than ever. What I've learned is nothing works with weight loss besides hard work and smart choices. Here were some of my favorite quotes during the 9 weeks.






5 comments:

Katie said...

HO.LY. CRAP. Congratulations - you look amazing!!!! I'm so happy for you and so glad to hear that you feel so great!

Anonymous said...

Amber I love this post about your weight loss journey. I am beyond proud of you and your dedication to the huge life style changes you made to lose the weight and win. I can't agree with you more that you worked that hard because you truly wanted it. You have to want it bad to truly make the changes. Most of all I am so happy to hear about your headaches and your numbness! That makes me do happy! I love you lots and can't wait to start toning together ... Tomorrow at 5:30 am that is. Wahoo!
Shirles

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this Amber. You looked great before, and you look amazing after! As someone who has struggled with weight and self asteem I know how hard it is. I cant wait to get down to my final goal weight! Thank You for the good insperation & tips :) *Brandee Coleman

Lacie @thedanielsons said...

Amber that is so awesome! I have been struggling since I had Hudson, I'll do really good then quit. This post is very inspirational. Thank you. You look amazing and i'm so glad all your numb ness is gone too!

Kim said...

Very Nice honey, I am very proud of you!!! You look Great!!! Thanks for sharing all the good tips..