Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My big boy!

Well I can't believe how much Gage is growing up! One thing as a parent I've been dreading is potty training. I wanted to wait till I knew he was ready and he wanted to do it. We decided on last week because we had a week with not a lot planned so we could stay home for it. Day 1 we went right into underwear which he had picked out himself (mickey mouse & gabba). We also stocked up on treats, stickers, coins, and dollar store toys for #2's. With all the treats in the bathroom he was super excited to go each time. I was blown away with how good he did the first day. I was being extra careful and taking him every 30 minutes but he would go each time. I was also making sure I gave him a good amount of liquids as well.  At nap I put a pull up on which he didn't like (good sign) and he woke up dry! The rest of the day he did awesome, no accidents and he went to bed and woke up dry.
Day 2 was our #2 day. He knew that he didn't want to poop in his underwear so once he started he ran to the bathroom. He had 2 pee accidents that day but still woke up dry and was excited to use the bathroom.
By day 3 he was going every hour and telling us when he wanted to go. He even would forget to get treats for going and went right back to what he was doing.
Day 4 is when everything fell into place. He told me both times when he had to #2 and he did both in the potty. No accidents, went to bed in underwear and was dry when we woke up.
We now have been in underwear for over a week and even out and about into the world. He hasn't had one accident with either poop or pee. He knows how to hold it and tell us when he needs to go. The big moment for me was on Monday morning. I was talking on the phone in the kitchen and I heard Gage come upstairs from the daycare. I walked into the bathroom and he was going #2 all by himself, without even mentioning it to me. I was so proud! So there you have it my baby is not a baby anymore. So many emotions come into play with this milestone. I feel happy, proud, but also sad. I'm so thankful it went so easy for us! Trust me Gage is one opinionated boy and I was picturing a constant battle. Just goes to show kids are ready when they're ready. Whether that be age 18 months or 3 everyone is different!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Do you want to come train my child? Lol, good job for getting it done in a week!